Applying to The Brooklyn Charter School is simple – but first, why Brooklyn Charter?
We are a premier charter school that has been serving the Brooklyn community for over 17 years. We are pioneers in the charter school world. Below are some of the features that separate us from other schools.
- We have small classroom sizes; with a teacher to student-to-ratio of 10:1
- There are two teachers for each classroom which ensures that the needs of our students are met
- We utilize a Humanities and Math curriculum that is aligned with Common Core Learning Standards and places students on a fast track for college
- Our students attend field trips monthly that are associated with the curriculum in order to make connections to self and connections to the world
- We incorporate a longer school day, drop off as early as 7:35 a.m. with an extraordinary after school program, pick-up is at 5:45 p.m. that offers real homework help and daily activities that cater to the interests of our children.
- We are one of the only charter schools to provide the option of yellow bus transportation for families outside of our neighborhood including Bedford-Stuyvesant, Flatbush, Crown Heights and East New York. Call the school to confirm if a bus stop is available where you live. All of our buses have drivers and trained matrons to ensure a safe, orderly and efficient ride to-and-from school.
- We offer Integrated Co-Teacher classes (ICT), Speech, Occupational Therapy English as a Second Language, and counseling to our students.
- All of our students participate in dance, music and computers daily to ensure a well-rounded educational experience. We also offer chess, strategic games, health classes, physical education among other activities during the school week to further expose and balance the learning environment;
- All students participate in recess daily. Kindergarten students receive additional weekly recess to promote social interactions with peers
- We are a uniform school, with dress-down days for special occasions
- Our children operate in an environment infused with positivity and accountability. We incorporate positive reward systems, Harambe meetings, Success Assemblies, School Spirit days and much more.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE BROOKLYN CHARTER SCHOOL OR ARE READY TO APPLY, YOU SHOULD DO THE FOLLOWING:
- Speak to a representative at Brooklyn Charter School by calling 718-302-2085 to answer any further questions that you may have.
- Set up an appointment to attend a tour to see us in action.
- Be ready to apply before the April 9th deadline when applications must be received.
- Note that our public lottery will be held on April 13TH, at a designated space in the school. The time will be determined on April 1st and will be posted to the school’s website.
- All Kindergarten applications are entered into the lottery to fill available seats. If you attend the lottery, you will find out immediately whether or not your child has been accepted. We telephone all families to notify them of acceptance; we also immediately mail an acceptance letter to families.
- Applications for grades 1 through 5 are placed on a waiting list, according to their date of school receipt. As vacancies arise, we contact each family to offer placement.